Follow me here:

Follow me!

Thursday 29 January 2015

Yo-ga girl!

(Image from tasterlab.com) 
It seems that everyone and their cat has been doing yoga lately. It seems to go along with the trend of drinking green juice and eating kale. If you're doing that, good for you! But I'm more of a chocolate for breakfast type of woman.

Anyway, yoga. It was recommended to me by my massage therapist and chiropractor. They basically told me, if I wanted less tight/tense/sore neck/shoulders/legs/body that I should give yoga a go, because not only is it stretching and strengthening everything (and I mean everything!), it also incorporates a meditation/relaxation component, which helps to de-stress.

I started by browsing on youtube for some beginner videos, to see if my uncoordinated self could actually do yoga, and I stumbled across the channel 'Yoga with Adriene.' Adriene has a yoga routine for every level of expertise, and every focus area, so if you don't have the time or the money to hit the mat at a proper yoga class, yoga in your bedroom can be just as good.


However, for me, going to an actual class has helped me a lot, because there's someone there to help you hit the poses correctly and safely, someone there to encourage and challenge you to push yourself that little bit further when things are getting slightly uncomfortable, and you have a whole hour to dedicate to your yoga practice, instead of a sequence or two at home.  I end up walking out of the class feeling very stretchy and very relaxed, which I have to admit, is a pretty good feeling. At the moment, yoga is the main type of exercise that I do, and I've never felt better.


When I get stressed, it tends to show up in my muscles. And since starting to properly attend yoga classes, I (and my health professionals) have noticed a big change in how my muscles are responding, which is brilliant for me!

And not only is yoga good for you in a relaxation/stretch way, it also helps to strengthen and tone your muscles! Another of the many reasons to jump on the bandwagon.

Are you on the yoga bandwagon?

Beth. x


No comments:

Post a Comment