Follow me here:

Follow me!

Thursday 5 February 2015

Maybelline vs Nars: The matte lip pencil battle.


My name is Beth, and I have a strong love and addiction to the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. They last and last, they're easy to apply, and the shade range is amazing (Cruella and Damned, anyone?). However, at $44 a pop, on a student budget... It's not the most budget friendly purchase. (NB: Mecca Cosmetica haas recently lowered the price of the Nars pencils to $34... Still not that student friendly in the scheme of things!)

(Bottom to top: 510, 140, 310)

Enter the Maybelline Colour Drama Lip Pencils. They've finally hit the shelves (of Priceline) in Australia, after months and months of European bloggers and vloggers raving about them! With a colour range that includes many shades that are exact dupes of the Nars ones I was already impressed. Formula wise, these ones go on slightly easier, because they are slightly (only slightly) more glossy. They also feel a bit more hydrating as well. They last really well, lasting through eating and drinking. The only problem with the slightly glossier formula, is that it is a tiny bit more prone to smudging. But for the bargain price of $9.95, the Nars pencils are already a distant memory for me!



I picked up the shades:  510 - Red Essential, 310 - Berry Much and 140 - Minimalist, with 510 and 310 being dupes for Nars Cruella and Nars Damned respectively. 140 on the other hand is more of a pink/peach nude colour.

The packaging of the Maybelline pencils is glossy, compared to the matte black of the Nars, which means the lids aren't quite as secure... But they're less than $10, so I'm not going to dwell on that!

Are you glad these have finally hit the shelves in Australia? Which shades do you like?

Beth. x

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard very much about these, but I'd definitely like to try them. I haven't seen them in the UK, but I'll keep an eye out for them!

    Clementine | My Darling Clementine

    ReplyDelete